Considered the symbol of the town and its glorious past, Terme Tettuccio is not only the oldest thermal establishment but a true focus of beauty, to such an extent as to receive the name of “Temple of the European Thermal Energy”. Its stateliness and the beauty of its internal decorations represent the highest expression of the thermal architecture in Montecatini. It had been known since 1300 as “Bagno Nuovo” and received its present name from the roof that would cover the mineral water spring. After undergoing several modifications of its structure, in 1919 it assumed its actual form through the project by Architect Giovannozzi. The most recent parts that were built are also very important: “Sala di soggiorno” by Architect Nencini and “Sala Portoghesi” by the Roman Architect from whom it is named. At the entrance is a very impressive shell-shaped fountain with the water gushing out from it. Experts say that the physiological value of this water is very high. Tettuccio water is used for hydropinic therapy and is considered to be “light” and slightly hypotonic. Its composition is comparable to that of organic liquids and can carry out a stimulating action, mostly for the liver.
Terme Regina was built in the same period as Terme Tettuccio and is a magnificent building constructed oftravertine marble: inside there is a large hall divided into three areas that are used as the thermal water pouring service, visitors’ area and a refreshment-room. The Regina spring is protected by a round temple and the water gives its name to the establishment, the main entrance of which is decorated with the Heron Fountain, the symbol of Montecatini. Because of its sumptuous, yet functional atmosphere, Terme Reginahas a representing function and houses important gala dinners, meetings and art exhibitions.
Named after Francesco Redi, a versatile scholar who is considered one of the founders of modern medicine and biology and strong advocate of the extraordinary properties of our Montecatini waters. The building has been recently renovated and houses 66 rooms for mud and bath treatments, hydro-massages, ozonated bath therapy, masso-therapy and physiotherapy. It also offers the brand-new inhalation therapy department, and another department divided into three parts, with bathtubs, couches and advanced equipment specially made for Terme di Montecatini.
Its transformation from Grand Cafè and Town Casino into a thermal spa establishment dates back to 1915, upon a project by Architect Giovannozzi. The existing large and elegant Art Nouveau style hall was an important meeting point and the place where cultural events would take place: the project was designedand built by Architect Bernardini from 1905 to 1909. Architect Giovannozzi added a building devoted to all the other thermal treatments besides the hydropinic one and decided to keep it open all year round. The corrosive action of time and the need to renew the systems later led to the demolishment of the neo-sixteenth century building by Giovannozzi. In 1968, five years after the announcement of an international competition, a modern 4-storey block was inaugurated. On the ground floor, there is a large hall for hydropinic therapies; at the first floor are our Wellness Centre and the other two floors house the equipment for mud, bath and inhalation treatments.
Situated behind the Terme Leopoldine, its name originates from the homonimous trees that are near the water spring discovered in 1843. It was first owned by the Schmitz family and then purchased in 1897 by the “Società Nuove Terme” which in 1909 started its renovation upon the project of Architect Giulio Bernardini. The original Sala della Mescita (Water Pouring Hall) has a rare artistic value, especially for its flooring, its wall coverings, the two large ceramic panels, and has now become a bar. In fact, the whole building is very valuable: it is made very special by a large garden and a round pavilion and also by precious decorations and ceramic tesserae, coloured and striped glass ornaments, small statues and bas-reliefs. Its main characteristic, though, is that particular mixture of styles and tastes. Thanks to recent renovations, it is now the centre of important art exhibitions and other cultural events.
Terme La salute is surrounded by green and takes its name from the Salute spring water that is near the “Volatiche Grotto”: the properties of this water were praised by the medical literature in 1700 and 1800. Even though the complex presents a semi-rustic aspect, the varied courses of water branch out in different directions and lead to the healing service centres and water-pouring counters from a beautiful centralpavilion. This building is actually closed to public.
Named in honour of Grand Duke Leopold I Habsburg-Lothringen and renovated in 1919, along with all the other Terme buildings. Marble and stucco works characterize its interior, whereas the external part presents very sober architectural details, which give the building a certain monumental aspect. In our Terme Leopoldine, well known all over Europe, the thermo-mineral water gushes out from a crater-fountain located in the middle of the enchanting inside courtyard.. Actually the building is under major restoration with a project from the European Archistar Fuksas, who ideated a thermal spa pool of 2400 squared metres and an adjacent wellness centre of twice the size.