Tamerici Thermal Spa
This spa is named after the Tamarix Gallica shrub that grew near the water spring discovered in 1843 by the Schmitz family, who owned the land.
The building was renovated in 1909 according to the design of architect Giulio Bernardini, who, together with architect Giusti, combined Tuscan Renaissance with Venetian Moorish with typical neo-medieval and Byzantine details.
The restoration work took several years to complete, and the building was finally inaugurated in 1911.
The hall of the “mescita” (water pouring) is decorated by the works of Galileo Chini created at his factory “Manifattura delle Fornaci di San Lorenzo”. Polychromatic glazed ceramic panels cover the benches dedicated to the drinking of water, depicting fish and birds alternating with flowers and geometric interlacing. They are supported by columns with lion heads, and two putti holding a festoon.
The floor, by Chini, also features spiral and geometric decorations with the Fortebraccio symbol, recalling the Schmitz family coat of arms.
The Tamerici spa was recently redeveloped by the Incanto Liberty Association. Inside, musical events, exhibitions, and presentations are held, as well as the opportunity to visit the wonderful Art Nouveau “mescita” hall.