Tettuccio Thermal Spa
The origins of the building date back to 1370, when it consisted only of a canopy, which protected the spring, hence the name Tettuccio. The first real thermal baths were built between 1779 and 1781 at the request of Grand Duke Leopold as part of the urban restructuring entrusted to architect Niccolò Gaspero Maria Paoletti.
In 1920, Ugo Giovannozzi, inspired by late Renaissance models, began a renovation project that resulted in the extension of the park and the construction of the Regina thermal spa. In addition to being a thermal spa, it served as a cultural centre and a meeting place for many of the greatest figures in music, art, diplomacy, and politics.
When entering the structure, there are two courtyards; the one on the left borders the Writing Room, while the one on the right encloses the exedra of the Tettuccio spring, with a bas-relief depicting an allegory of water.
A long portico joins the two courtyards and connects the entire building, decorated with Basilio Cascella’s polychromatic panels. The panels are arranged above marble bases for the curative thermal waters, each depicting a different allegory: childhood, adolescence, maturity, old age, beauty, strength, and the spring.
The spa also includes the Salone Portoghesi, designed in 1987 by the famous architect Paolo Portoghesi (1931-2023), the historic café with works by Maria Biseo, and the music temple. Various fountains can be found at the water sources: the crocodile fountain by Sirio Tofanari, the Heron and Frog fountain by Raffaele Romanelli.
All of this is surrounded by a large green park designed to complement the therapeutic landscape of the facility.