The origins of the building date back to 1370, when it consisted only of a canopy, which protected the spring, hence the name Tettuccio. The first real thermal baths were built between 1779 and 1781 at the request of Grand Duke Leopold as part of the urban restructuring entrusted to architect Niccolò Gaspero Maria Paoletti.
An ideal day in Montecatini Terme
This spa is named after the Tamarix Gallica shrub that grew near the water spring discovered in 1843 by the Schmitz family, who owned the land. The building was renovated in 1909 according to the design of architect Giulio Bernardini, who, together with architect Giusti, combined Tuscan Renaissance with Venetian Moorish with typical neo-medieval and Byzantine details.
In December 2012, Montecatini opened a new exhibition space dedicated to contemporary art. It is located in a building of exceptional beauty and historical and cultural significance: the 20th-century Palazzo Comunale. The occasion allowed for the restoration of marvellous spaces, used until 2007 as Post Office premises. In fact, this original purpose is recounted in Galileo Chini’s cycle of illustrated stained glass windows related to communication.
In the midst of greenery, this historical path runs parallel to the Funicular route.
Starting from the lower town, to the right of the funicular station, the trail branches off through olive groves and woods, culminating on the Montecatini Alto hill, offering magnificent views of the entire town. Along the way are the Stations of the Cross.