The origins of the building date back to 1370, when it consisted only of a canopy, which protected the spring, hence the name Tettuccio. The first real thermal baths were built between 1779 and 1781 at the request of Grand Duke Leopold as part of the urban restructuring entrusted to architect Niccolò Gaspero Maria Paoletti.
il liberty e il 900
Between the 19th and 20th centuries and thanks to the fairy-tale architecture of its buildings, Montecatini Terme became an emblem of the Italian Belle Époque and a source of inspiration for many generations of artists.
A number of the city’s curtained venues have provided the perfect backdrop for performances by numerous playwrights, including the Teatro Verdi, the Teatro dei Risorti, and the Kursaal Complex, a true landmark of Montecatini Terme’s cultural life.
One of the illustrious families that frequented Montecatini Terme was the Habsburg-Lorraine family, for whom a summer residence was constructed in 1782. The project was realised by architect Niccolò Gasparo Paoletti, who had already overseen the restoration of the Tettuccio and the construction of the Terme Leopoldine.
In December 2012, Montecatini opened a new exhibition space dedicated to contemporary art. It is located in a building of exceptional beauty and historical and cultural significance: the 20th-century Palazzo Comunale. The occasion allowed for the restoration of marvellous spaces, used until 2007 as Post Office premises. In fact, this original purpose is recounted in Galileo Chini’s cycle of illustrated stained glass windows related to communication.
This spa is named after the Tamarix Gallica shrub that grew near the water spring discovered in 1843 by the Schmitz family, who owned the land. The building was renovated in 1909 according to the design of architect Giulio Bernardini, who, together with architect Giusti, combined Tuscan Renaissance with Venetian Moorish with typical neo-medieval and Byzantine details.